2010-12-28

Electric Ant?



I believe this tiny thing is what is known as an Electric Ant (Wasmannia auropunctata), if so they're an imported pest the Department of Primary Industries want eradicated. I've notified them and after they check their email (that could take a while at this time of year) they may react but I don't see any point, if we have it then the whole town is likely to, so we'd better get used to them.

They pack a huge bite or sting or whatever they whack you with for their size, painful little critters they are, usually striking at night when I'm dreaming of getting to know Barbara Stanwyck better.

Anyway It's really difficult to take a one handed photo of a tiny bug that's crawling on your mouse hand, so this is as good as I managed. Dead ones are too mangled to make a good photo.

No comments:

Post a Comment